LIQUID DAMAGE RECOVERY
HELP! MY PHONE GOT WET!
Don’t worry – in most cases we can recover your phone!
If your phone got wet and is malfunctioning, our Liquid Damage Recovery service can help.
The single most important factor in recovering a liquid damaged phone is immediate attention by a qualified technician with the right equipment.
Fonelab Liquid Recovery Service
$100 Most brands and models
- Free evaluation.
- Phone repair or data recovery.
- No charge if we are unable to recover your phone or data.
IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES OF DATA RECOVERY
- IMMEDIATELY REMOVE THE BACK COVER AND BATTERY OR POWER THE PHONE OFF.
Leaving your device powered on after exposure to liquid can cause a short circuit and potentially destroy your phone or tablet components, including the battery. Even if the phone is working you should assume that the liquid has entered the device.
Tip: for iPhones hold the Home button and the Lock button simultaneously for 5 sections
- REMOVE ALL ATTACHMENTS AND ACCESSORIES FROM THE PHONE OR DEVICE.
Removing any cases or accessories, including any memory cards and the SIM card allows excess liquid and moisture to escape and not get trapped inside the smartphone or tablet.
- REMOVE AS MUCH EXCESS LIQUID FROM YOUR DEVICE AS POSSIBLE.
You can shake and tilt your phone to remove as much remaining liquid as possible. You can also use a vacuum cleaner or a wet/dry vac to suck the excess liquid out of the device. Using a hairdryer for this step is generally not recommended as it can force liquid further into the phone or tablet. You generally want to avoid heavy blowing into the device as well as too much heat.
- DRY OUT YOUR PHONE OR TABLET.
Leave your phone disassembled and/or free from accessories so that it can air dry as much as possible. A blowing fan can improve airflow through the devices ports without causing further damage. You can also slightly warm the device to speed evaporation, but DO NOT use an oven or a microwave. The temperature of the air around the phone should NOT EXCEED 100 degrees Fahrenheit (approximately 37 degrees Celsius) or heat damage can occur.
- BRING YOUR PHONE OR TABLET TO FONELAB.
Our expert technicians perform a multi-step ultra-sonic process to remove as much remaining moisture and corrosion as possible in addition to repairing the damage that is preventing the phone from working.
Q: My phone appears to be dry and I’ve followed these steps, why isn’t it working?
A: There are a few reasons why your phone won’t work even if it appears to be dry:
- Liquid making contact with the circuits and components in your phone starts to corrode almost immediately. Even after the phone is ‘dried’, corrosion continues to ‘eat away’ the circuits and components as oxidization occurs.
- Liquid is able to penetrate into the tiniest of areas inside your phone. Normal drying activities often will not reach these small inner cavities and the liquid can remain concealed for long periods of time. Liquids can short-circuit parts of the device preventing it from functioning properly (or at all).
Q: What about using rice or silica?
- The absorption power of rice or silica is not enough to extract all the remaining moisture out of your device. These absorbents will extract some moisture, but typically not enough to prevent continuing corrosion. The steps outlined above offer greater benefit.
Q: Does it matter what ‘liquid’ I dropped my phone in?
- Yes, different liquids have different corrosive effects. For instance the chlorine in swimming pool water is much more corrosive than plain tap water. If your device was already submerged in a dirtier or more corrosive liquid, it is okay to rinse your phone or tablet with clean tap water and will in fact benefit it.
We repair most brands and models:
We repair broken cell phones, smartphones, and
tablets from most brands including Samsung, Apple,
iPhone, LG, Huawei, Alcatel, Motorola, HTC, ZTE,
BlackBerry, and more
Fonelab | Upper Canada Mall
17600 Yonge Street
Lower Level East side, near Starbucks
Fonelab | Scarborough Town Centre
300 Borough Dr.
Lower Level near Hudson’s Bay & beside Starbucks (closest entrances: Entrance 3, Entrance 6)
Fonelab | Fairview Mall
1800 Sheppard Avenue East
Upper Level North side, near Shoppers Drug Mart (Entrance 6), beside Druxy’s and Teavana
Fonelab | Oshawa Centre
419 King Street West
Beside Bell, Telus and Rogers (closest entrances: Entrance 3, Entrance 7)
Fonelab | Masonville Place
1680 Richmond Street
Lower Level near the Richmond Street entrance (beside the Disney Store)
Fonelab | Lime Ridge Mall
999 Upper Wentworth Street
Lower Level inside the Food Court (beside Showcase and Wireless Wave)